Friday, August 25, 2006

Another Friday

The WKTV Channel 2 Weather forecast starts out - "Unsettled over the next few days, with some breaks possible," and continues, offering a further variety of "possibilities" and "likelies."
Today: A chance of showers and maybe a thunderstorm, especially south. High in the low 70s.
Tonight: Mostly cloudy with showers possible. Low in the upper 50s.
Saturday: Clouds and sun with showers likely, especially for the first half of the day. High: 75, Low: 58
Sunday: Clouds and sun with showers or rain likely. High: 68, Low: 58



The Weather Channel provides pictures:



It must have been on Tuesday that I pulled up, somewhere in Sangerfield, to talk with Nannette, who was working alone. She always smiles, of course, and I took her picture knowing that she'd show it to her little girl, that evening. Along came Jack Bennet. He sort-of grinned at me, calling me by name, but when I asked him him if he'd like his picture taken, too, he chuckled and said, "Not today."

I'm sorry I didn't try to cajole him into letting me do that.

He's been our TIOGA "man on the job;" everywhere at the same time, with his plaid shirts and white hat, always willing to answer questions and take the time to explain procedures.

But on Wednesday night he died.

Without an answer, explaination or Good-bye. And it's sad.
His obituary is in today's Observer-Dispatch.