Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sunday morning!

41 degrees; not raining! Yesterday - despite a soggy forecast - turned into quite a nice day. Perhaps today will, too!







I love the COMMENTS that are left at this website:

Dave Desany of Orlando, Florida wrote: "Talk about a childhood flashback!! Thanks for the post about Gingko Biloba trees. The one you pointed out at the Crowe residence on Buell Avenue (formerly the Desany residence), is a tree my brothers and I spent a good deal of time climbing as children. Even though it has been over 15 years since I lived in Waterville, the picture of those leaves brought back lots of memories!" (Thanks, Dave!)


An Anonymous reader wrote:

"I just wanted to say that 'At Home in the Huddle' is wonderful. It is so nice to see a little bit of news of my Home town. I grew up in Waterville and I don't get home much so it is nice to see what everyone is up to and all of the wonderful upgrades the town is making."

And from another "Anonymous:"

"Your little reminiscence of John Zwievel brought me back to my childhood days in Waterville. I had forgotten all about him, but your description brought his image to my mind immediately. Did you ever meet Truman Jones? He used to walk the streets also. Some things never change - and I hope that part of Waterville's friendliness to all never does. "

And the answer to his/her question is Yes! I remember Truman Jones. His favorite expression - when describing what it was like when the dam on Big Creek burst or when the steeple of the Presbyterian Church was struck by lightning and burned, in 1917 - was

"Aye-Yi-Yi-Yi-YI!!"

And it was his and his sister Marjorie's family homestead that we purchased and moved into in 1968, and we've been here, in "Marjorie and Truman Jones' House," ever since!



The one frustrating thing about "Anonymous" COMMENTS is that I can't reply to the writer, so I've put a link to my E-mail address right in the bottom line of the post. You can still remain "anonymous" if you want to - but at least I could thank you directly for taking time to write!